"You can make a difference in the life of an oncology patient and find your career satisfaction by joining our team of healthcare professionals today."
Featured video 1: Oncology Consultants Registered Nurse Opportunity
About Oncology Consultants
Oncology Consultants has been a premier adult medical oncology & hematology practice in Houston, TX for over 35 years. Our healthcare team is committed to provide state of the art cancer treatment in a caring environment as we continue to expand our oncology services in the metropolitan region.
About the Position
Promotes and maintains the health of the patient across the health care continuum. Conducts comprehensive health assessments, identifies normal/abnormal health characteristics, develops treatment plans, initiates appropriate care, and continuously evaluates care outcomes according to established standards and practices. Uses judgment to work autonomously or to collaborate with the healthcare team to manage patient care through out the continuum of care and in a variety of settings. Supports and adheres to the Oncology Compliance Program, to include the Code of Ethics and Business Standards
Physical Requirements: Must be able to sit, stand, lift, or walk for an extended period of time.
- Medical, Vision
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Free Parking
- Competitive Salary
- Sees patients in the oncology services office and hospital for selected laboratory testing, examination, diagnosis, and treatment of both chronic and acute episodic symptoms.
- Makes rounds in selected hospital systems
- Reports to Covering physician for patient necessities in the hospital setting.
- Rotates for Saturday, after hour coverage.
- Refers to physician/specialist as needed.
- Writes prescriptions and performs office procedures within the scope of expertise, protocols, and available equipment.
- Triages patient telephone calls and provides consultatio
- Performs physical exams, obtains complete medical history and records findings. Orders appropriate laboratory and diagnostic procedures. Interprets and integrates data to determine preliminary diagnosis and therapeutic plan
- Administers medications and injections in compliance with state law and clinic guidelines. Sutures minor lacerations.
- Instructs patient/family regarding medications and treatments. Educates patients regarding health maintenance and illness prevention. Recommends community resources to meet patient and family needs. Makes house calls when necessary
- Collaborates with physicians in managing acute and long-term medical needs of patients. Provides monitoring and continuity of care between physician visits.
- Maintains and reviews patient records, charts and other pertinent information. Posts tests and examination results.
- Compiles necessary reports concerning ambulatory care at facility.
- Participates in professional development activities to keep current with healthcare administration practices
- Maintains patient confidentiality
Video 2: Vickie Houff, RN, Oncology Consultants
- Nurse Practitioner: Masters of Science – Nursing
- Successful completion of an approved Acute Care nurse practitioner program.
- Acute Care certification required
• Minimum two years of clinical nursing plus two years of nurse practitioner experience.
• Minimum one year in an oncology department/clinic
• Licensed ANP or FNP.
• Must be currently licensed as a registered nurse. Because of the nature of responsibilities, it is preferable to have experience in counseling and teaching and have a master's degree.
- Two years as a Nurse Practitioner either in the hospital or outpatient setting
• Knowledge of professional nursing theory, practices and regulations to give and evaluate patient care.
• Knowledge of how to use medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care
• Knowledge of oncology-related medical terminology
• Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish/maintain a safe work environment
• Knowledge of the unique technical and human factors found when working in the specific field of oncology
• Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing patient care.
• Skill in taking medical histories to assess medical condition and interpret findings
• Skill in the use of computer software application relevant to job specific tasks
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other employees, patients, organizations, and the public
• Perform procedures such as Bone Marrow Biopsies.
• Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
• Ability to maintain quality control standards
• Ability to communicate clearly with clinic staff, patients and public
• Ability to interpret, adapt and apply clinic guidelines and procedures
• Ability to demonstrate compassion and caring in dealing with patients and families
• Ability to maintain patient confidentiality
Combination of exam rooms and medical offices. Frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, blood-borne pathogens, physical hazards (e.g., needle pricks, etc.), ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to an oncology clinic environment
Requires, standing, sitting, walking, bending, stooping, twisting. Requires full range of motion, manual dexterity, and eye-hand coordination. Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. May require helping lift/transfer patients. Requires ability to deal with stress from dealing with multiple tasks, irregular hours, tense patients, and unexpected emergencies
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions, the general supplemental functions and the essential requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and requirements of a person so classified. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.
Oncology Consultants is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Medical Center | Memorial City | Sugar Land | Katy | Willowbrook | Southwest Northwest | West Houston
Apply today. Our short application process takes less than 5 minutes with your phone, tablet or computer.