"You can make a difference in the life of an oncology patient and find your career satisfaction by joining our team of healthcare professionals today."
About Oncology Consultants
Oncology Consultants has been a premier adult medical oncology & hematology practice in Houston, TX for over 35 years. Our healthcare team is committed to provide state of the art cancer treatment in a caring environment as we continue to expand our oncology services in the metropolitan region..
About the Position
The Chemo Therapy Pharmacy Technician's role in the practice includes the direct technical procedures of drug admixture and preparation and the supply and equipment management activities in West Side Clinics.
The primary role of the Pharmacy Technician is to prepare the pharmaceutical agents ordered in the correct dose, for the correct patient, and to provide those drugs to the clinical staff for administration. The Pharmacy Tech is responsible for the cost effective management of all drugs, supplies and equipment required to prepare and store the agents administered in the practice, using both the Lynx pharmacy system and the practice inventory sheets. The PT coordinates the transfer of drugs and supplies to satellite office nursing staff as needed.
The Pharmacy Technician maintains current price lists for all drugs and supply items ordered by the practice. The PT reviews each shipping invoice and compares the invoice with the billing documents for each location. The prices are verified with the current price list, and any discrepancies are detailed on the billing invoice.
The PT also is responsible to work with the nursing staff to maintain the patient education supplies used within the practice. These items include informational brochures, booklets, books, video tapes, and audio cassettes.
- Utilizes aseptic technique in medication preparation
- Performs mathematical calculations to convert drug concentration to dosage desired correctly and efficiently
- Utilizes appropriate personal protective equipment in the preparation of chemotherapy agents
- Demonstrates technical skills required for drug preparation and ability to assemble required equipment
- Manipulates equipment correctly
- Utilizes venting and backflow filters appropriately
- Reconstitute powders according to the manufacturer’s instructions
- Label medications clearly
- Identifies issues of compatibility and stability for the clinical staff
- Confirms new orders or changes in drug orders with clinical staff
- Dates, concentration specified, and initials on vials held in storage
- Verifies expiration dates on drugs and supplies utilized in practice
- Mentors new nursing staff in the drug preparation procedure
- Extensive mixing/chemotherapy
- 2 years of chemo mixing experience required
Oncology Consultants is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Medical Center | Memorial City | Sugar Land | Katy | Willowbrook | Southwest Northwest | West Houston
Apply today. Our short application process takes less than 5 minutes with your phone, tablet or computer.